A stand-out option for luxury family holidays on the Algarve, the chic Martinhal Sagres Beach Hotel & Resort is highly rated for its kids’ clubs, family activities and kids' sporting academies, which embrace surfing, windsurfing, swimming, tennis and football. Ages 10 and up can join in a great program of supervised activities including dolphin-watching, diving, biking and mocktail making.
There's also a luscious spa with treatments for all ages, from babies to grandparents, and several eateries including the surf-themed M Bar with a 1970s camper van booth, a gelateria, a kids' area with iPads and games and an outdoor play area. Alternatively, the beachfront seafood restaurant has a terrace from which you can watch the kids play on the trampoline or in the sandpit as you relax over a glass of wine.
Service is top-notch and the well-kitted-out houses and villas with their high-spec kitchens make this great for those who like some flexibility. They're also ideal for large families or for holidays with grandparents (who often get discounts). Whether you're travelling with a baby or toddler or are looking for an active holiday in Portugal with teens, Martinhal Sagres ticks all the boxes.
The Martinhal Sagres Beach Hotel & Resort is in a national park on the Sagres peninsula, 75 minutes by road from Faro International airport.
What to expect
The Martinhal Sagres offers childcare and clubs for all ages. Each offers a fun daily programme of age-appropriate activities - and in the summer there are supervised evening activities too.
- Raposinhos Crèche (ages 6–23 months)
- Raposinhos "little fox" Kids’ Club (ages 2–5 years)
- Fox Club (ages 6–9 years)
- Explorers activity program (10–14 years)
- Blast activity program (15–17 years)
A charge applies to the crèche and kids' clubs, except in the low season (Nov-Mar) when the pre-school crèche and club are free. The clubs for children 6+ are operated in main school holiday weeks only.
It is advisable to pre-book crèche and kids club places for your children at the time of booking your holiday.
Babysitting can also be arranged, when in resort (charge applies).
Beach rooms are set in clusters, close to the main hotel.
All the interiors have a soft, contemporary style - this is a Garden House.
Martinhal Sagres is made up of a hotel and The Village - a range of apartments, houses and villas. Some hotel rooms can be interconnected. The accommodation options include:
The Hotel - all rooms have a balcony or terrace, with full or partial ocean views.
- Terrace Rooms - sleep 2 adults + 1 child + 1 infant, located in the main hotel building.
- Beach Rooms - sleep 2 adults + 1 child + 1 infant, located in cuboid clusters, right next to the main hotel building.
- Beach Suites - sleep 2 adults + 1 infant with a mezzanine bedroom and lower living area.
The Village - apartments, houses and villas with self-catering facilities.
- 1-bedroom Apartments - sleep 2 adults + 1 infant. Some can also accommodate 2 children, with folding bunks in the lounge area. All have a balcony or terrace.
- 2- and 3-bedroom Pinewood Houses - sleep up to 6 adults. Located near the pine forest, all have a garden with private pool.
- 2- and 3-bedroom Bay Houses - sleep up to 6 adults. All are spacious and have a balcony or terrace, overlooking the nature reserve.
- 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom Garden Houses - sleep up to 6 adults. Situated in a walled garden, all have private verandas, overlooking the Oasis Pool (heated, free-form pool).
- 2- and 3-bedroom Ocean Houses - sleep up to 6 adults. Located in the heart of the village, the bedrooms are downstairs and the living areas are upstairs, to make the most of the views.
- 2- and 3-bedroom Vilas Mimosa - sleep up to 6 adults. These townhouses have private gardens with views of the resort, the Sagres peninsula and the nature reserve. They also have exclusive use of the Clubhouse and adjacent heated pool (incl. baby pool).
- 3- to 6-bedroom Luxury Villas - sleeping up to 12 adults. Each as a large private garden with its own pool (some pools are fenced for child safety). These are privately owned but when booked through Martinhal Resort, include access to the resort facilities.
Baby/toddler extras: Cots, bedrails and complimentary baby packs with nappies, toiletries, baby milk and baby food are available.
Total: 37 hotel rooms, 138 houses (1- to 3-bedroom) in ‘village’ and 68 villas.
Offer of the week
Save up to £250* on TUI getaways this summer - that sunny beach is closer than you think! Start packing that suitcase and feel the sand between your toes, pronto.1,000s of free kids’ places available too – including in the school holidays. It’s time for some family fun in the sun - BOOK NOW!
Hire bikes from the Bike Station and explore this beautiful coastline.
Martinhal Sagres is has a fantastic range of facilities on offer. These include:
- 4 outdoor swimming pools spread across the resort (including one with a toddler pool)
- 1 indoor/outdoor swimming pool
- Play area with trampolines, giant bouncy pillows, zipline and more.
- Watersports centre with lessons and equipment hire (see below for activities)
- Bike Station with hire and guided tours - including road and mountain bikes, kids bikes and baby seats
- Spa with sauna, steam room and treatments - including family, tween and teen treatments!
- Gym, yoga, pilates and fitness classes
- 3 restaurants offering everything from pizza to seafood to fine-dining, with the option of takeaway too
- Coffee shop
- Pop-up takeaway grill
- 2 bars - both family-friendly
- Deli with freshly baked goods, fruit and veg and takeaway food
Extra family facilities:
- Kids' clubs and creche (see 'Childcare; above)
- Blue Room/Family Room - with table games, console games, art area, cinema showings* and soft play
- Blast Room - just for teenagers (14-17yrs), with table games, games consoles, jukebox, cinema showings, etc.
- Family dining - all restaurants have a play area and kids' menu - including baby purees.
- Baby Concierge - pre-book any baby/toddler equipment you may need, such as potties, safety gates, bottle sterilisers and warmers, etc.
The Martinhal also offer and can arrange loads of activities in the resort or nearby, including the following and more:
- Kids Sporting Academy (in main school holidays) - football, tennis, swimming, surfing and windsurfing
- Tween (Explorers) and teen (Blast) activity programmes - for example, kayak tour, outdoor laser tag, surfing, horse riding, beach games, etc.
- Tennis and padel tennis
- Cycling - mountain biking, road biking, family cycling and a pump track
- Paddle boats
- Boat trips
- Fishing trips
- Nature trips
- Horse riding
*The Blue Room is not a kids' club. Adults are responsible for supervising their own children.
Everyone can enjoy a spa treatment!
Enjoy a choice of pools, a variety of activities and lots of family fun at Martinhal Sagres.
Sign up to our newsletter
For regular family travel inspiration and ideas