Cruises certainly aren’t for everyone, but for families who fancy seeing several European cities yet also spending plenty of time by the pool and relaxing in general, they can be a great solution. Once thought of as a holiday for the elderly, they have become much more child-friendly in recent years and the number of family cruises – and related deals and discounts – is ever increasing.
The key things to look for when booking a cruise are the activities and facilities. Most younger kids will be delighted by the all-out fun, from themed deck parties to fireworks, of a Disney cruise, but other companies have alternative offerings better suited to older kids, such as rock-climbing, basketball and mini golf – and sometimes even the likes of yoga and Pilates for parents. Choose a cruise with something to suit both you and your kids.
See our special deals and latest offers with European family cruise holiday specialist partners:
• NCL Cruises: Norwegian Cruise Line, with family-friendly itineraries.
• Celebrity Cruises: Child-friendly vessels serving France, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Iceland, the Mediterranean and the Azores.
• Royal Caribbean: European cruises from a global operator, with some departures from the UK.
• P&O Cruises: five family-friendly ships plying the Med.
• TUI Marella Discovery and Discovery 2: child-friendly cruises throughout Europe from the major brand formerly known as Thomson Cruises.