Who doesn’t want to grab a dose of sunshine after the long grey months of winter? With British summers often unreliable, we’re blessed to be within easy reach of some prime destinations for summer fun, whether you pack the car and drive to the South of France or head for the classic child-friendly beaches of Greece.
Over the winter, the Mediterranean is mild and pleasant but bear in mind that a lot of family attractions may close at the end of the summer. If you want somewhere warmer, for some gentle sun, consider Tenerife and the other Canary Islands, Malta, Cyprus, the Algarve, Madeira and the Azores. The Canary Islands and Madeira in particular, are very much year-round destinations.
Whether you're looking for a deluxe family villa or a luxurious hotel, we've picked the best places for families to stay in Europe - take a look at our suggestions below.
Also, check out our special offers and latest deals on luxury family sun holidays with our preferred partners, including:
• Simpson Travel: child-friendly villas and hotels in Turkey, Greece, Mallorca, France (including Corsica) and Italy.
• Club Med: French-founded all-inclusive resorts with childcare and heaps of free activities.
• Neilson: Active holidays in the Med, with a focus on sailing.
• Mark Warner: Mediterranean beach holidays with watersports and other activities, known for their quality childcare.
• Jet2holidays: Family package holidays, with free child places often available.
• First Choice: Popular resorts in the Med, many are all-inclusive.
• TUI: Popular family package holidays, often with free child places.