Find holidays by region
Given the chance to try them out, most kids fall in love with skiing and/or snowboarding. And with careful planning, family skiing holidays really can last a lifetime because you’ll all want to keep going back for more. The bad news is that you’ll need to save your pennies if you want to ski every year!
The good news is that ski resorts are ever more child-friendly. Opinions obviously vary, but the following are generally considered by experts to be among the best family ski resorts in the world.
• Flaine, French Alps.
• Alpe d’Huez, French Alps.
• Avoriaz, French Alps.
• Sainte-Foy Tarentaise, French Alps.
• Obergurl, Austria.
• Lech, Austria
• Ylläs, Finland
• Whistler, Canada
• Tremblant, Canada
• Vail, USA
Read our full guides to family-friendly ski resorts in Europe and North America, and see our special offers and latest deals on family ski holidays with partners Pierre & Vacances, Esprit Ski, Mark Warner, Crystal Ski Holidays and Club Med.
Read on for our expert family ski holiday tips.
• Take kids to an indoor ski centre to become familiar with the equipment, for lessons or to find out if younger children are ready for lessons.
• Investigate the childcare offered – unless your kids are looked after to some degree, as a beginner you won’t be able to learn, or as an experienced skier you’ll be frustrated.
• Consider a holiday village combining self-catering apartments with hotel-style facilities, or catered chalets with professional childcare for extended families or families holidaying together.
• Rent children’s helmets, skis, boots and poles – they quickly grow out of them. Rent or borrow ski jackets and salopettes in the UK. Bring thick socks, gloves, hats, sunblock, ski goggles/sunglasses, and vests and thermal pants.
• Check you have suitable insurance.
See our full family ski holidays tips page for more advice.
Offer of the week
Choose an action-packed First Choice Holiday Village for your family's summer holiday and pick up a free child place when you BOOK NOW. Prices from £2,418 for a family of 3*.
Sign up to our newsletter
For regular family travel inspiration and ideas