Christmas at home isn't always the fun it's cracked out to be and sometimes it can make a nice change to give it a miss in its traditional form, if only as a one-off experience. If the only thing that’s stopping you from booking a family holiday this Christmas is the prospect of your relatives sulking at home while you laze on a beach or sprint down the ski slopes, think about inviting them along too – look out for grandparents-go-free offers.
Christmas Holiday Ideas
• Enter into the heart of the chilly season by heading to even colder climes – Lapland offers families all kind of Christmassy fun, or guarantee your crew a white Christmas with a family skiing holiday in a snow-sure resort.
• At the other end of the spectrum, flee winter in favour of a beach holiday. Family favourite Egypt offers virtually guaranteed sun, while child-friendly Tunisia, Morocco and Dubai have cooled down a little so can be a good option with younger kids.
• If you don’t mind your sun to be gentle, it’s still possible to find winter warmth no further afield than Tenerife, Gran Canaria and the other Canaries, Cyprus, the Algarve or Madeira.
• Alternatively, consider South Africa – good for warmth without jetlag.
• Or head for Australia, where despite it being summer, Christmas features all the usual fun and festivities. The same goes for the Caribbean (though this is peak season in the region, so it’s not the time for great deals).
• Source a cosy cottage, a villa, a chalet or a lodge to rent, at home or abroad.
• Consider a city break: London, Paris and New York are all classic destinations for those who don’t mind embracing the cold in favour of festive activities. You could combine a city-break with a trip to a nearby theme-park offering Christmas activities: with Disneyland Paris among the best and most accessible from the UK.
• Alternatively, book a Christmas break at a holiday village such as Center Parcs or Bluestone where, in addition to the usual facilities and activities, including a waterpark, you can enjoy festive activities.
See also our features 15 Amazing Places to Take the Kids at Christmas and The Best Christmas Holidays and Breaks.