Passports and visas
Passports and visas

Passports, Visas and Foreign Office Travel Advice For Family Holidays And Breaks


All family members travelling abroad must have a valid passport. Apply for a child passport if your child is under 16. If they're 16 or over they need to apply as an adult. Allow up to 12 weeks to receive a new or renewed passport, though there are (more expensive) fast-track services available.

Child passports are valid for 5 years, adult passports for 10. If travelling to a European country, adult passports must be less than 10 years old on date of arrival - additional months shown on the passport are no longer valid.

Note that many countries require passports to be valid for at least six months from the date of entry. Check the UK Government's foreign travel advice site for up-to-date information about each country, including visa requirements.

If your passport is lost or stolen while abroad contact the local embassy or consulate, report the theft (if stolen) to the police. You can apply for an emergency travel document or 'emergency passport' to get home, allow two working days. 


Visa requirements vary by country, cost and duration. Up-to-date information is available on the UK Government's foreign travel advice site. Select the country you are considering for your family holiday and then 'entry requirements'.

Foreign Office Advice

Prior to travel, always refer to the Foreign Commonwelath & Development Office website for their latest foreign travel advice. As this advice changes on a regular basis, it is important to monitor it in the run up to your trip.

Offer of the week

Immerse yourself in the Land of the Legends resort in Turkey this Summer, with First Choice.

Find out more